Being or Acting with Faith and Trust
Latin definition: Con – with. fidence – faith
Faith has a different quality form knowledge or certainty, extending our belief, hop and trust – aspring to somewhere beyond where we already are and what we already have. Having faith in ourselves, recognising our potential and giving ourselves the chance to let little changes bring about a big difference in what we can achieve. The times when self confidence is most needed, however, are often times when we are doing something new in unfamiliar circumstances or in a situation where we might have had difficulty before.
When you genuinely believe in your own honest appraisal of what you can do and what are able to learn you can safely risk stepping out of familiar territory, stretching to meet new challenges and it’s just as easy to cultivate a well founded belief that says ‘I can’ as it is to create a belief of ‘I can’t’
Research indicates that the average person – means you! – talks to himself or herself about 50,000 times day!Most of that self-talk is about YOUSELF, and according to the psychological researchers, it is 80% negative……..
Things such as…I shouldn’t have said that……They don’t like me……I am never going to be able to pull this off…. I don’t like the way my hair looks today…That other team is going to kill us….I can’t dance….I’ll never be a good skater….I’m not a speaker…I’ll never loose this weight….I can’t ever seem to get organised….I’m always late
DOES THIS SOUND FIMILAR?
Research shows that these thoughts have a powerful effect on us. They effect our attititude, our physiology, and our motivation to act. Our negative thoughts actually control actually control our behaviour.
Nick Sitzman was a strong, healthy, and ambitious young railroad yardman. He had a reputation as a diligent hard worker and had a loving wife and two children and many friends. One midsummer day, the train crews were informed that they could quit an hour early in honour of the foreman’s birthday. While performing one last check on some of the railway cars, Nick was accidentally locked in a refrigerator boxcar. When he realised that the rest of the workmen had left the site, Nick began to panic. He banged and shouted until his fists were bloody and his voice was hoarse, but no one heard him. With his knowledge of “the numbers and the facts” he predicted the temperature to be zero degrees. Nick’s thought was IF I CAN’T GET OUT, I’LL FREEZE TO DEATH IN HERE. Wanting to let his wife and family know exactly what had happened to him, Nick found a knife and began to etch words on the wooden floor. He wrote, “It’s so cold, my body is getting numb. If I could just go to sleep. These may be my last words”
The next morning, the crew slid open the heavy doors of the boxcar and found Nick dead. An autopsy revealed that every physical sign of his body indicated he had frozen to death. And yet the refrigeration unit of the car was inoperative, and the temperature inside indicated 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Nick had killed himself by the power of his own thoughts. You, too, if you’re not careful, can kill yourself with your limiting thoughts-not all at once like Nick Sitzman, but little by little, day after day, until you have slowly deadened your natural ability to achieve your dreams.
TALK TO YOURSELF LIKE A WINNER
- So what if you could learn to always talk to yourself like a winner instead of a loser?
- What if you could transform your negative self-talk into positive self talk?
- What if you could silence your thoughts of lack and limitation and replace them with thoughts of unlimited possibility?
- What if you could replace any victim language in your thoughts with the language of empowerment?
And what if you could transform your inner critic, who judges your every move, into a supportive inner coach who would encourage you and give you confidence as you faced new situations and risks? Well….all of that is possible with a little awareness, focus, and intention.
STOMP THOSE ANTS!
The limiting thoughts we hear in our head ANTs – Automatic Negative Thoughts.
And just like real ants at a picnic, your ANTs can ruin your experience of life.
3 STEP TO STOMP THOSE ANTS!
- Firstly you have to become AWARE of them
- Next you have to shake them off and stomp them by challenging them.
- Finally you have to replace them with more positive and affirming thoughts.
- I forgive myself
- Everything I touch is a success
- I love and approve of myself
- I turn every experience into an opportunity
- I let go of all expectations
- I am worth loving
- I am deeply fulfilled by all that I do
- My work is deeply fulfilling
- There is plenty for everyone including me
RAISING THE FEEL GOOD FACTORS
What gives you the feel good factor?
How can you resources yourself when you feel down and change your state?
What we think effects how we feel and = behaviour!
Think of good memories that will trigger a reminder of something like a piece of music uplifts your mood:
1. Places you have visited or would like to visit – cities, beaches, mountains, gardens, galleries or buildings.
2. People and animals can be those you know and others you don’t but who inspire or interest you.
3. Exercise - include your favourite sports as well as mental exercises.
4. Events such as holidays, anniversaries, and celebrations – important times in your life.
5. Pictures and symbols – may be items of art, postcards, icons and photographs
6. Smells and tastes are your favourite food and aromas.
7. Words and sounds include music, poems, mantras and affirmations.
Make a note of these and remind yourself which will give you a boost.